Sunday, 2 May 2010
After she was taken out of the kiln I noticed a few cracks in the silver, I havn't got a clue why it cracked, I fired at 650c as recomended for anything with a combustible centre, it had been left long enough to be thoroughly dry, I patched it up with oil paste and refired.
I am pleased with the results she is very cute.
Sunday, 14 March 2010
Tuesday, 2 March 2010
Janice @ wellydog.blogspot.com for the Sunshine Awards for my blog.
I have to apologise for not mentioning it on my blog before now and not sending the awards to other bloggers.
I have just started a new job after being out of work since November last year, it has been a bit of a shock to the system, along with a busy family life, there just has not been enough hours in the day.
Hopefully I will soon be sending these awards out to others out there in blogger land, when I can find the time to read and choose 24 deserving bloggers from the thousands of you out there.
Some of my family, my son-in-law is missing from this picture and it was taken a couple of years ago, there are two more grandchildren due this year.
Sunday, 21 February 2010
This little bird needed a special necklace to showcase it....
I think this byzantine chainmaille and Solalite chip necklace did the job perfectly.
Got to do more soldering on this one too.... bonus!
Friday, 12 February 2010
This ring did end up somewhere near.
I am very pleased with the shine on the inside of the ring, this is one of the techniques that I need to improve on, while making my pieces of silver.
The other thing with making rings is the join, the ring needs to be seemless.
I oxidised it with liver of sulphur, but I think it may be a bit overdone as it looks dull.
While I was polishing it one of the leaves dropped off, I should have used more paste while I was assembling it, this gave me the chance to practice my soldering techniques, at the same time the torch would burn off the oxidisation.
After soldering, (as you can see by these pics, was successful)
I probably will oxidise it again because I like the effect, it makes the detail of the texture pop, but I won't do it so dark.
Wednesday, 10 February 2010
This pendant isn't too weird? The disc bead I bought in Portugal so I wanted to do something with it.
Sunday, 7 February 2010
Saturday, 6 February 2010
The class was taking place at Burton Manor in Burton on the Wirral over three days, and as I've mentioned Tracey Spurgin was our tutor.
These classes start in the evening usually from 8pm - 9.30pm. the first evening, because meals are included in the course fee students arrive early, it seemed a weird time to be starting a course, I couldn't understand why it couldn't be condensed into two days but as the course progressed I understood why.
After dinner we all went into class and made a start on shaping the cork clay to make the core for one of the projects, as cork clay takes a while to dry out and it has to be thoroughly dry before firing.
The heart was made using the cork clay as a form, using the syringe type clay, this is slightly thinner clay which is bought already in the syringe and this can them be piped out like you would decorate a cake.
We then added the resin, this resin is cured using a UV light, brilliant! all sorts of things can be added to the resin before it is cured - glitter, micro. beads, it can be tinted any colour, there are specialist resin tints but acrylic paints work just as well.
Before I came home I had signed on to the advanced course being held in the August.